Saturday, October 2, 2010

buddhism for mothers


Now, before you go rolling your eyes or click away thinking that you won’t read the post because you’re not Buddhist...
...may i just say that Sarah Napthali’s book Buddhism for Mothers just may be the most important book you will read.
There’s no hard sell to become Buddhist, no guilt trips.
What there is: wonderfully refreshing wise words on walking this mama path. It is written by a woman in the thick of it and she is honest about her own pitfalls and mis steps. It is all about being present in the moment, cultivating awareness, breathing deep. She uses stories from her own domestic frontlines and from other mamas to illustrate her points and the effect is like being a part of a huge network of mama's. None of what we experience is unique to us, we are all in it and sharing those stories is such a healthy thing to do.

I don’t want to do any meditation retreats until i am sure Jed is ready for that sort of separation. Reading Buddhism for mothers is the next best thing. Right now i am deep into her second book ‘Buddhism for Mothers with Lingering Questions’. And it is good. Just what i need right now.
What a good feeling it must be for her to know that she has offered the world the gift of these books.
When Jed was younger, i organised and attended a peaceful parenting workshop in my very rare 'free' time. A man close to me asked 'why don't you see some friends, get away from parenting, don't you do enough of that? There is nothing to learn, it's all mundane'. I had no witty comeback at the time (i blame sleep deprivation!) but how wrong they were. Mothering is a big part of my life, and it will be forever more. What work is more important than this? There is magic and meaning in the mundane. This is my spiritual path if you like. There is no escape from it and i might as well learn all i can. Not just about my mama'ing style, but to grow myself and learn about the world alongside my child.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. It's funny though, it's only as I've become an older mother that I realise the importance of being in the moment! When I was in my 20s with two young children time seemed to drag, but now in my 40's it's rushing by and I so value those moments when I stop and be still and just be with my child rather than thinking of the next thing. I've become a playcentre mum too and am loving being the first teacher of my child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's down to me having done alot and lived hard before i becoming a biological mama, i know there is more for me to do but its not a overriding feeling for me. Plus, i needed to slow right down and being a mama certainly gave me that.
    I also had some practice being a sort of second mama to a little guy named willow for a few years there...nothing like practice!

    i wish i could figure out how to respond to comments without posting another one myself...oh well, whatever works aye?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a ton Mama Anissa! On your recommendation, I found an e-version of 'Buddhism for Mothers with Young Children' and it is changing my life! It is truly amazing. It reads like it has been written for me. I'm much more relaxed now that I know that my feelings and experiences are not unique to me. And the fact that it is not written by someone who "is enlightened" but is aspiring earnestly makes me feel closer to the author and her message. I have lots to write about my experience with this book, but I'll reserve it for my blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sangeetha...just saw your comment and thought i would reply even though several years later!
      you know i love to spread the word of things/ideas i think are important! Glad you found it spoke to you. I think it is something i will re-read and remind myself of. Loving your blog my friend. Love to Rajeev and Isha.

      Delete