Sunday, October 2, 2011

7 days of blogging 5/7 - fundies

I have been wanting to make underwear for the longest time. Uh huh. I know, i know.
It's just that i like to have a go at making well, pretty much everything. And you all know how much i love upcycling, right?



Well, i flat out refuse to make muslins. What if i get it right and am stuck with an ugly old muslin i can't wear huh? Yep, most of my trialling of new patterns is done with the final fabric and i tweak as i go. Or to mock up the prototypes of my own designs i'll upcycle some secondhand clothing. Usually i make my own pattern up, or take it from a piece of clothing i own and love already. But...when i stumbled across three patterns for $1 on trademe, and one of them being a pattern for boyshort style underwear i couldn't resist.
Here we are, 'circus fundies' in the making. Cotton jersey in a dubious purple from the 20c bin at the op shop and a rainbow striped top from my upcycling bin provided the fabric. Fast and furious late night sewing ensued.


Ahem...the back view of my circus style 'muslin'. You didn't think you'd get to see me model them did you?!


As soon as i finished them i wished i had made my own pattern from a pair i already own. The legs on these ones were a tad big, despite measuring and following directions to customise the sizing. Good thing i held back on the special underwear fabric and used the dubious purple. Next time. I did learn alot about gusset construction from the pattern and it definitely de-mystified the whole underwear making process which was well worth a late night bout of sewing.

Oh yeah, then i remembered, belatedly, that Amy from Angry Chicken posted about her underwear making adventures HERE and HERE. Yep. I was right, make my own pattern ...that's number one on her 'how to' list. That sleep set is adorable. Something to aspire to. And now, i am diving into this rather large and teetering pile of vintage fabrics...


...next month's Kraftbomb is creeping up and so is the Piha Labour Day market. A highlight for the community out there, it is run in support of the Piha Community Pre-school. It's a great day out...the food (especially those gourmet salads, wow) was amazing last year, i got many a great bargain at the market stalls and the kids area was much loved by the smalls. It is also the first day the Surf Lifesavers are back on duty for the season...very exciting for the smalls also. Go HERE to check out the dates/times and for info on how to book a stall yourself. I'm told there are a few left. Better be quick. See you there.

2 comments: