Tuesday, October 2, 2012

heart and soul gardening

These past few years we've been sitting on the fence. About whether to stay in our glorious wee corner of the world, or move on. And so, i haven't thrown myself heart and soul into the garden here. We always have a garden of sorts going. Certainly the medicinal herbs i use and greens and yes, some years the garden has been amazing but often i hold back. I have been thinking about that. I think i would like to live differently. I mean, i dance like no-one is watching and sing like no-one is listening, so i figure i'll garden like i'll get to reap the harvest. Someone will. And what a gift that would be!
Jed is on it. He has planted his seeds. We got a little crafty on the plant pots and used toilet rolls. I cut slits in the bottom and folded them up evenly to make a base. Jed was convinced it wasn't going to work. Ha!
I reckon we can just undo the folds and pop these babies right into the ground.
We do have one little problem i need to address before planting day. The S word.
Uh huh. Slugs. We suddenly have a gazillion of the little beagles. They love the straw mulch it seems.
I'll have to get back to you on that one. It'll be an organic solution, a friendly to other critters sort of solution.
What exactly is beyond me at this sleep deprived point.
 It's just such a miracle isn't it? The whole seed germinating and growing milarky. It never gets old.
 The little faces light up in wonder. The older ones too come to think of it.
The seedlings in the back are from Weathersfield Organics. I bumped into the founder years ago at East West Organics and she made quite an impression. I like knowing who i buy from. It's the next best to growing my own or buying from the farmer's market.

11 comments:

  1. I used copper wire around the garden bed and sprinkled dry egg shell bits around my plants and never saw a single slug. Everyone told me to just throw down some slug pellets and I bought some but just couldn't bring myself to use them. Why grow organically if you're going to ruin it with pellets of poison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...no slug pellets here! I've gardened alot over the years on different continents and sheesh, i have to admit to being daunted by the sheer volume of the little critters in my garden. Eggshells are ready and tomorrow is planting day...wish me luck! Thanks for the copper tip too...haven't heard of that one.

      Delete
  2. Love having fresh herbs!
    http://takeshapefitness.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother was a master gardener and not very nice to slugs so I don't know how you will feel about these tips, but they do work on slugs. Slugs will avoid lava rock and Diatomaceous Earth because it cuts them if they try to go over it. You can also set a pan of beer out, the slugs will be drawn to it and drown. A nicer way to avoid them is to simply change your watering schedule. They love moisture and are most active at night. Try to avoid watering in the evening and even that can help cut back on the slugs. I hope that helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for that...our garden is mulched with straw so it's pretty damp all the time with all this rain at the moment, i think that is half the problem. Want to know the worst slug solution my neighbour in france told me?! Take 50 slugs, roast until crispy until crunchy and powder them..meant to be a homeopathic remedy. I'd stay away if i were a slug!

      Delete
  4. I've had the same conundrum in the past - to plant or not to plant! - but even in a rented property, the desire to have a vege garden always wins out! I like your loo roll idea. I transplanted broccoli seedlings from egg carton to bigger trays the other day, and they haven't responded well...

    S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, i was going to try planting out a salad mix in egg cartons and seeing how those did. Thanks for your feedback. I will let you know how the toilet roll pot seedlings fare in the long run.
      And yes...can't resist home grown veg either! x

      Delete
  5. I have used toilet rolls too for the first time this year. No folding just filled with soil and put together in a tray. Egg boxes tend to be a bit short and the loo rolls help the roots go deep. When you plant them make sure they are very wet and are underneath the surface of the soil and they will rot away. I am on my second planting of gherkins as they got slugged.....they haven't touched the tomatoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. toilet roll planters have been working great here...excited about the garden this year. x

      Delete
  6. I have a bit of the same dilemma re my bach, but planting is a seasonal imperative, and it must be done. I can feel mother nature tapping me on the shoulder saying, come on, get those beans in the ground!
    As for slugs, a good old beer trap, or eggshells and even sand make a good deterrent. For snails, I collect them at night, but it's not pleasant giving them a speedy death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the suggestions juliet, we have done a bunch of experiments: coffee grounds, eggshells, spiky shells and citrus have all worked. Best of all though? The black birds have almost eradicated the slugs! Mother Nature had it all sorted. I take my hat off! (and sigh with relief!)x

      Delete