Thursday, January 3, 2013

boxing corners - a tutorial

Okay, as this riveting first photograph intimates, there is no way to jazz this up. This is pure sewing geekery of the educational variety. For those of you not that way inclined, come back tomorrow for GrowMama business as usual.
In the meantime, i give you: the promised tutorial on how to box corners. A bunch of you have been asking since i included boxing corners on my tutorial for how to transform a vintage pillowcase into a bag.
Here is how:
The photo above is what you start with...1) the pillowcase turned insideout with the existing seam.
2) Fold the corner like so and pin securely.
3) This is a side view.
4) Sew your boxed corner. Don't forget to reverse at beginning and end of the seam to secure it.
5) This is what it will look like.
6) You don't clip the seam, or trim it. Just turn it right side out and it gives a lovely rounded finish to your bag.
Like this! Go forth and box.

To go to my tutorial on how to make a bag from a vintage pillowcase click HERE.
For the post on my creation of the pillowcase bag ... click HERE. (Made famous by viral posting on Pinterest -i just peeked and over 120,000 folks have seen that post - eek and wow... i am off for a calming cup of tea!)

12 comments:

  1. It's strange to me that a straight sewing line results in a rounded effect! Can't wait to try it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's one of those magical sort of things! x

      Delete
  2. this is a great thing love the pillow case bag will tell my friends thanks & God Bless You

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tute{s} i found you via Pinterest too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Going to make a few of these for Christmas gifts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All my people got these bags for Christmas one year...not sure I could get away with it again!

      Delete
  5. I found you on Pinterest ...thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it means a lot to me. x

      Delete
  6. Just picked up some awesome pillow cases at Goodwill today...gonna try it out...and I am not a sewing genius and am pretty sure I could do this. Was wondering, could you put a liner in this with another pillow case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can do it! And yes, you can line it with another vintage pillowcase. Makes a stronger bag and more polished looking. Enjoy.
      x

      Delete