Monday, January 14, 2013

opening flowers: a holiday activity

A little craftiness for you (especially those of you in the Southern Hemisphere still in the depths of the summer holidays)...
...the magic of the opening flower.
Step one: Hand draw or down load a template from HERE (i googled 'opening flower template)
Step two: Have your little people colour in their flower/s. (Be sure to have fun yourself)
Step three: Cut out your flowers.
Step four: Fold each of the petals into the centre.
Step five: Place your folded flower into a bowl of warm water....
Step back and watch the magic unfold....
Petal by petal your beautiful flower is revealed, until...
....it is at full blossom in the bowl. Magic. 

Extension: do an experiment with opening the different flowers in bowls of cold and warm water at the same time. Ask your kids why they think one opened faster than the other.

You can re-use your flowers, just leave them to dry and come back to them. Or make loads and when they're dry make a delicate bunting out of them.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love this! I'm going to try it out with the little person in my life. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S I just tried it for myself and was surprised how quickly the flower opened. I couldn't find the template you used, just a rather bewildering array of designs. Never mind, I got the nearest one to it, and will need to make my own I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet, i will post you a page of them. I'll have a hunt for your email address through your website, or get in touch! We played with all different shaped petals but i think this one works the best. x

      Delete
    2. Anissa, thanks that would be great. My email is on my website. I'd love to have it before next Tuesday as I'm planning to use the flowers as part of our Lugnasad ritual.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anissa, I'm still waiting for the template. Want to do it tonight with a friend and her daughter, and then again tomorrow with my group. May have to just do my best with what I've got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i emailed you with all the links you need Juliet, i hope it goes well...enjoy! x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Folks, i deleted the comment above, it was of the advertising/spammy variety...i love to link to great products but don't want our peaceful blogspace being used to sell hot cars (or hot anything else for that matter!) x

    ReplyDelete